This article is brought to you by the Personal Finance Insider team. It has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the issuers listed. Some of the offers you see on the page are from our partners like Citi and American Express, but our coverage is always independent. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page.
- Online shopping portals offer an easy way to earn loads of bonus points, miles, or cash back for purchases you'd make anyway — in addition to what you'd earn from a rewards credit card.
- Through mid-November, some airline shopping portals are adding an extra bonus for holiday shopping when you spend a specific amount.
- You can earn bonus miles with American Airlines AAdvantage, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, Delta SkyMiles, United MileagePlus, and Southwest Rapid Rewards with these holiday shopping portal promotions.
- By stacking these deals with other promotions like limited-time credit card spending category bonuses or targeted Amex Offers, you could earn even more.
- Read Business Insider's guide to the best credit cards for holiday shopping.
Savvy consumers know one of the best ways to maximize rewards from their spending is by using online shopping portals. Most major US airlines have their own version, and offer bonus points or miles when you navigate to a retailer's website through their portal before making a purchase.
- How to use online shopping portals
- United MileagePlus shopping portal holiday bonus
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan shopping portal holiday bonus
- American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping Mall holiday bonus
- Delta SkyMiles shopping portal holiday bonus
- Southwest Rapid Rewards shopping portal holiday bonus
- Maximize shopping portal promotions with the right credit card
How to use online shopping portals
Shopping portals are a great way to earn more points and miles from online purchases you were already planning to make. Some banks and rewards programs like Rakuten also offer options where you can earn more cash back instead of travel rewards, but the principle is the same.
If you've never used an airline shopping portal before, here are the steps to take to start earning bonus rewards for your online purchases:
- Sign up for a frequent flyer account if you don't have one, then use your loyalty number and password to sign in to the airline's shopping portal
- Before you make an online purchase, search for the merchant you want while logged into the portal
- Click through to the merchant from the shopping portal site
- The shopping portal tracks your purchases at the merchant, and awards you bonus miles or points (usually based on how much you spend)
For example, suppose you wanted to make a $100 purchase at Old Navy and like to earn American Airlines AAdvantage miles. You would first go to the American Airlines shopping portal and search for Old Navy, which is currently offering a bonus of 4 miles per dollar. After you click through the link, you'll be sent to the Old Navy site to complete your shopping as normal.
Your $100 purchase would get you 400 AAdvantage miles, in addition to any points, miles, or cash back earned from your rewards credit card.
Earning rates vary between different portals and also change over time, so it is a good idea to check around for the best deals before you decide which portal to use. In addition to the regular bonus rewards that you can earn, shopping portals sometimes offer limited-time bonuses for spending a specified amount.
All of these shopping portals are run by the same company, Cartera, so they often have similar promotions. With the season just around the corner, there are currently five airline shopping portals offering substantial bonuses for holiday shopping. You'll earn these bonuses on top of the standard points or miles you'd earn from shopping though the portal plus what you'll earn from your credit card.